A year round green lush lawn can be an amazing. But with all things in life, good things have a price and grass can become a hard hitter to your pocket book. Fortunately there is an alternative to natural grass.....artificial grass!.
Here are a few pros and cons of using artificial grass so you can look at all the factors before making your final decision on which way to go.
The Advantages of Synthetic Grass:
- Synthetic grass, once installed requires little in the way of maintenance – no watering or mowing is required.
- You save on the cost of water and buying and operating a lawn mower.
- No expensive fertilizers and weed killers need be bought.
- Because you do not need to use chemicals to grow or protect the grass, you are not adding to pollution levels and affecting the environment on an ongoing basis.
- You will not have to spend time pulling out weeds.
- Synthetic grass is long lasting and you will not have to incur the expense or hassles of period replanting that natural grass will require.
- Synthetic grass offers excellent drainage so after rain or the use of water to wash it, the grass it will dry quickly.
- The good drainage also means that you don’t have to worry about puddles of water collecting and lasting for days and then leaving patches of mud for the unwary to step in.
- Play sports on the lawn will not damage the grass.
- Synthetic grass always looks perfectly manicured so you will never be embarrassed by an unkempt lawn.
Disadvantage of Synthetic Grass:
- The upfront cost of installing synthetic grass can be very high, making it financially impractical.
- There is normally a rubber cushion below the surface to provide softness and bounce. This may require occasional re-filling.
- Synthetic grass can become unpleasantly hot in summer.
- There are fears that the chemicals used in the manufacture of synthetic grass can be harmful to the health. Although manufacturers say that they meet health and safety standards, the debate remains inconclusive.
- Synthetic grass is not natural grass – it cannot offer the special scent of wet earth and grass or the sweet smell of freshly cut grass.
There are arguments for and against synthetic grass. You should weigh the pros and cons carefully, with your objectives and needs in mind before making a final decision.